On the Move: Teachers Who Relocated

Many times, teachers can be overlooked, and are more interesting and important than some students want to admit. They are responsible for teaching and educating Chelsea students, from freshman year until they finally make it to college. But occasionally, these education professionals aren’t from just down the street, they are from all across the country. They leave behind memories, belongings, and even family, to come pursue their job in completely different places.

English teacher Adam Schilt moved to Michigan a few years ago and has taught at multiple schools since then.

“I have taught for nine years,” Schilt said. “But not all at the same place. I have taught 7 years in Chelsea and 2 at Detroit Public Schools.”

While teaching in Chelsea for nine years, social studies teacher Laura Lutz has taught in Chelsea for 21 years and came to Michigan, but surprisingly  her original plan did include teaching it anywhere.

“I didn’t go to school to be a teacher,” Lutz said. “I actually went to college at the University of Minnesota for business for two years, and came to Michigan to go to the University of Michigan. I left Minnesota for Michigan because the University of Michigan has a Masters of Arts with certification program, which meant that in one year, I could get my master’s degree and my teaching certificate.”

While Lutz came to Michigan to finish her education and get her degree, Schilt came to Michigan through a teaching program that brought him here.

“I did a program called Teach America,” Schilt said. “It was a program where you sign up to teach for at least two years in predominantly school districts where there’s a high demand for teachers.”

Since moving to Michigan, Schilt has spent his time expanding his knowledge of the state and growing more accustomed to its culture.

“It took me three years to learn what up north means and I’m still not 100% sure where that line between Chelsea and up north is,” Schilt said. “But regardless, I love going up north. Michigan summers are unmatched in my opinion,” Schilt continued. “I love visiting Marquette and Traverse City. I love to float or kayak or things like that on a river. In the winter, just everybody hunkers down and just knows, there is going to be a negative 30-degree wind chill for a couple of weeks and we’re all in this together.”

Schilt will always enjoy Michigan’s geography and people, but he makes a sure point to keep in touch with his family and friends.

“I would say I probably get back three to four times a year,” Schilt said. “It’s only a six-hour drive back to Kentucky so if I want to go back home on any given holiday break which isn’t too bad of a drive. So all of that worked out pretty well.”

While our wonderful staff at Chelsea High School has worked hard to teach students in Michigan, sending them off to their own life after college, we tend to forget that they had a different life before coming to small town Chelsea Michigan. Our roots are what makes us who we are, so learning these teachers’ stories gives us an inside look on who they are, and who they can help students become.