The Bleu Print

Candy Land Decided As Winter Carnival Theme

Back to Article
Back to Article

Natalie Davies, Bleu Print Staff

After students sent in requests for Winter Carnival themes, Student Council decided on three workable options for students to vote on. After a close vote by students, Candy Land was established the winner by just three votes.

Maddie Dunlap, the Publications Chair and Chair of the Pep Rally Committee, explained how Student Council narrowed down the options and how they use the theme to make the week of Winter Carnival exciting.

“We had a lot of people enter in the themes, and then we had to look at it from a standpoint of what would be an exciting pep rally,” she said. “Would we be able to have class themes and things like that? It doesn’t just go into the dance part of it. We have to look at it from all angles.”

Dunlap also explained just how important having a theme is in organizing Winter Carnival.

“We definitely need a theme because all the games that we play [at the pep rally and at lunch] are surrounded by it,” Dunlap said. “There’s spirit week themes that have to do with it and we decorate the hallways every year also so that has to do with it. The theme is really important.”

Student Council plans to incorporate the theme of Candy Land into spirit week by organizing Candy Land related spirit days, decorating the class hallways as a different place on the board from the game Candy Land, and organizing exciting pep rally games to get student body involved and excited. Dunlap explained that Student Council organizes itself into committee groups for specific aspects of Winter Carnival like the pep rally, extreme volleyball, and spirit week themes. This makes all the members of Student Council from each grade level contribute to making Winter Carnival happen.

“Everyone [in Student Council] is involved with the dances,” she said. “Not just the dance aspect… Pretty much with all the committees everybody has a part in [planning the dance].”

Sophomore Ella Cowhy has attended two dances and pep rallies, and she is enthused with the Candy Land theme.

“[I enjoy] all the decorations and how our spirit week corresponds to the theme of Winter Carnival,” she said. “Also all the activities that we do at the pep rally. I like those.”

The Winter Carnival spirit week starts Monday, February 4, and the dance will take place on Saturday, February 9. The entry fee is five dollars, and the money goes towards funding of the dance and funding Student Council’s other activities.

Winter Carnival is for the student body, and students are encouraged to attend the dance, attend the basketball game the night before, dress up for spirit days, and participate in games during lunch throughout the week and during the pep rally.

Everything will be based off candy and Candy Land and in the words of Ella, “I love candy. Who doesn’t love candy? Winter Carnival will be fun.”

About the Writer
Natalie Davies, Bleu Print Staff

Natalie Davies is a sophomore at Chelsea High School. She loves playing basketball, running, reading, spending time with family and friends, and good food.