Chelsea Wrestling Starts the Year Off Right

This past weekend was the Chelsea Varsity Wrestling team’s first Saturday tournament of the year. They opened with a win against Williamston. Starting with the 160 weight class, a pin by sophomore Mitchell Reynolds won a match in just 51 seconds. Followed by another victory, by his brother, Gus Reynolds in the 171 weight class. Senior James Mida also pinned his opponent in the 189 weight class, followed by pins from seniors Zachary Taylor and Hunter Adams in the 215 and 285 weight classes respectively. Freshmen Dalton Grabarczeck had an easy match with a void at 103. Two more freshman lost to their opponents in the 112 and 119, Solair DiDomenico and Cal Stacy. Nick Matusko dominated in the 130 weight class also pinning his opponent. Corbyn Munson and Mason Trinkle also had easy matches as there was nobody in their weight classes, 135 and 140 respectively, each receiving a void and 6 points each for the team. The final match against Williamson involved a win by Zachary Dosey, winning 9 to 4. Chelsea won the match as a team with a score of 57 to 12.

The rest of the day involved a close match with Jackson Northwest and Chelsea winning 39 to 33, scoring the winning points in the last few matches, and making Chelsea fans nervous. Following was a very tough loss to St. Johns with Chelsea scoring just 17 to St. Johns 53 points. Scorers for the team include seniors Hunter Adams and Corbyn Munson as well as sophomores Nick Matusko and Mitchell Reynolds. Following the tough battle with St. Johns Chelsea faced Bronson, winning 44 to 30, and Jackson High, winning 59 to 21. With only one loss for the bulldogs in their first tournament, the season is looking very promising. Great work boys!