No Snow Catastrophe!

Mason Nead (‘23) skis at a slope with artificial snow because there’s not enough natural snow.

During the second week of January, students usually find themselves stuck in a few inches of snow. This would mean a snow day or two and a chance to take a break but unfortunately, there hasn’t been much snowfall this winter. With only a single snowstorm that lasted a week, the question arises: what should students do?

Winter activities are things that many look forward to every year during the time when it’s cold and snowy such as skiing, sledding, and snowboarding are now unattainable leaving many students disappointed.

Last year by February, Chelsea already had almost forty inches of snow. This was more than enough for everyone’s favorite winter activities. Whereas this winter hasn’t supplied us with much snow at all. However, some people may not find this as such a bad thing.

“I don’t like the snow,” Kailyn Porter (‘23) said. “It’s too cold and wet.” 

Many other students can relate to this dislike of the cold weather, preferring to spend their time indoors. Porter, regardless of the weather outside enjoys relaxing inside watching shows, making crafts, or reading books.

Though some people enjoy the lack of snow, they also worry as to why this winter has been so different from winter’s past.

“It does make me a bit uncomfortable to see the weather taking on such strange patterns, like how it snowed a lot earlier in the year than it normally does,” Porter said. “It is odd how the times when we usually get snow there isn’t any but when we typically don’t get snow there is snow. Most of the time when Christmas rolls around we might have an inch of snow at most that is barely sticking to the ground.”

In the end, most students don’t care about the little amount of snow they’ll receive this winter. People who like their snow will get it later, most likely in a greater amount than they would like and those who like no snow get to kick back and enjoy it a little longer.

“I feel like there might be another polar vortex like there was a few years ago,” Porter said. “I kind of hope that doesn’t happen, but also I hope it does because that means we get out of school.”