Life Post High School: Savanna Fisk

Our whole lives, we build up years of school, knowledge, and imagination into our future. We build up a pile of dreams of career opinions in our head, and as we get older and enter High School, we put our current reality to battle with the unrealistic goals of childhood.

This about sums up the story of Savannah Fisk (‘20), a CHS alumni and ex-gymnast of about 13 years, did not ever see herself where she is now but is thankful nonetheless.

“Up until my junior year, I planned on doing collegiate gymnastics,” Fisk said. “[However,] I had knee surgery my junior year, which ruined my dreams of being a college gymnast.”

The tragic gymnastic injury led Fisk to choose herself over her dream career and put her health first, as this knee injury was one of many hospital visits.

In spite of her knee injury, Fisk joined the Chelsea High School dive team as a senior. Given her background in gymnastics, Fisk held an advantage due to practicing similar concepts in diving as she had in her previous sport.

“I began diving my senior year of high school and soon started to get recruited by many colleges in the MAC conference,” Fisk said. “By the end of my senior year, I decided I wanted to [try] diving as a serious career option.”

Soon enough, Fisk was looking into colleges that had programs for her new passion for diving, and she was pleasantly surprised by how many recruiters were coming her way.

“Before committing to EMU for diving, I was looking into Bowling Green State University, University of Toledo, and Miami University,” Fisk said.

Fisk ended up committing to Eastern Michigan University, majoring in the nursing program while simultaneously training as an EMU athlete.

Unfortunately for her, Fisk came into college in 2020 when Covid-19 was at its peak. Even as Fisk was allowed to move into dorms, things were a little different than the typical college experience.

“My freshman year was taken over by covid, and I wasn’t allowed to hang out with anybody or meet new friends,” Fisk said. “We also couldn’t compete for the first half of the year. It was awful. I sat in my room all day because we weren’t allowed to hang out with anyone else except our teammates, no events were held, and it was a very boring first year of college.”

Despite having to deal with heavy restrictions in her freshman year, Fisk is onto her Sophomore year of college, and she believes that her college experience is starting to lookup

“Things are finally starting to feel normal again,” Fisk said.