High Hopes for a Normal Prom

2021 prom night

Ball gowns, dance music, and strobe lights. A scene many high schoolers have missed the opportunity to experience since the COVID-19 pandemic began to take a toll on social gatherings in early 2020. However, 2022 is a new year full of hope and excitement while Chelsea students get back to normal life: school, work, sports, and prom.

Prom planning this year has been like no year before. Junior class Student Class Representative and Cabinet member Lia Spink (‘23) has experienced the chaos of planning this year’s prom (which will take place this May at Robin Hills Farm) first hand.

“It should be fun,” Spink said. “I think a lot of people will show up just because of homecoming and COVID, we haven’t had a lot to do and we probably won’t be able to do the Winter Carnival.”

Robin Hills Farm meets current COVID-19 policies being an indoor-outdoor venue and Spink plans on having a food truck in attendance that will be paid by the Student Council.

Spink is excited to share this year’s venue for prom and the consideration behind COVID-19 that went into picking Robin Hills Farm.

“We wanted somewhere that wasn’t the Big House [so it’s] more confined for a party-type feel,” Spink said. “But we also had to make sure it was outdoors because of COVID, so the barn opens up [for] airflow.”

For over two years, the pandemic and social gathering restrictions have made event planning of any kind incredibly difficult for everyone, including the CHS Student Council.

Since the council only has three people on their committee, the troubles of planning a prom appear much more challenging to work around, especially when they are making an effort to adhere to COVID guidelines.

“This is my first year of prom planning, but it’s weird because there’s no one doing it,” Spink said. “Having to think of the outdoor spaces and what [the weather is] going to be like in May [is also] hard.”

Despite the challenges, the 2022 senior class and Student Council Representative Lia Spink are still hoping for a normal prom this year. Following COVID restrictions, having an outdoor venue increases the chances of having a normal prom, but Student Council will play it by ear this coming May.

“Because it’s outdoors, it should not be canceled,” Spink said. “I haven’t heard anything about it being canceled. At the most, we would have to wear masks, but right now–because it’s outdoors–we don’t have to wear masks.”

If all goes according to plan this May, many Seniors will experience their first and last ever prom. Past year’s themes included masquerade balls and red carpets, but this year’s theme is something new.

“We are thinking of a garden party,” Spink said. “It’s going to be a lot of flowers and twinkling lights.”

Spink, the prom planning committee, and the rest of the Student Council are excited and optimistic about this year’s upcoming prom and hope that the garden party theme, aesthetics of the barn, and great attendance will create a fun environment for many students’ first prom.