The Bleu Print

Opinion: Why Learning Language Matters

Back to Article
Back to Article

Opinion: Why Learning Language Matters

Madilynn O'Hara, School News Editor

Sitting in a cold, metal desk in third hour, twirling a pencil between fingers as you attempt to retain conjugation during an episode of Muzzy, you may feel like it’s pointless to learn another language. Between the millions of tenses, confusing conjugations, and adjective agreement rules unknown to English, it’s much easier to just take the two years of a language and move on rather than to continue to struggle with proficiency.

But just because it’s easier to take the minimum requirement doesn’t mean it’s smarter. Languages in the classroom are so much more than word-vomiting the translations of the words “dog” and “cat”. Learning a new language allows us to understand more than just words; it allows us to see the people beneath the language—their culture, heritage, and their struggles. In learning how to communicate with others on the verbal level, we learn to empathize better with them.

With the current antipathy towards other cultures our country has today, it’s becoming more and more important to empathize through language. We Americans mock the language skills of those coming here to better themselves. We see videos of people telling immigrants, illegal or otherwise, to “get back to their country” when they speak in their native tongue. We blame others for having imperfect fluency while they attempt to learn one of the hardest languages in the world.

We say all of these things, yet when we’re the ones stuck on the other end of the language-learning spectrum, when we’re sitting in Rodriguez’s class during an episode of Muzzy, when we struggle to conjugate basic verbs in Mrs. Sinacola’s Spanish I class, we may come to find that learning a new language isn’t so easy.

Learning any new language takes time, patience, and determination. Mocking others for their struggle to learn become a lot harder when we’ve struggled too, even if it’s not to the same extent. Our own failings, even when they’re in a safe classroom environment, help us understand the experiences of those coming into our country who don’t have the privilege of English being their first language.

Of course, you can take your two years of Spanish and move on with your life. Maybe you’ll remember how to ask how to find the bathroom on your spring break vacation in Cancún. Or, you could try to learn languages a bit better than to just get a passing grade. Retain the information, and keep learning. Take Spanish 3, Spanish 4. Take the time to empathize with the people who have struggled with language too.

After all, empathy starts with all of us.

About the Writer
Madilynn O'Hara, School News Editor

Madilynn is a current senior at Chelsea High School. She's involved in theatre guild, tennis, Student Council, and Yearbook Club. In her free time she...

1 Comment

One Response to “Opinion: Why Learning Language Matters”

1. Natalie Davies on March 7th, 2019 1:36 PM

I love this piece!! Well written and I 100% agree with you! Not only do you get to learn the language, about the people who speak it, and about what the shoes of someone who doesn’t speak the same language(s) as you are like, but there are also many benifits to your brain including preventing cognitive aging and help prevent demensia and Alzheimer’s disease by making your brain physically grow.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Opinion: Why Learning Language Matters

OPINION

What Getting Involved Can Do For Students

OPINION

First Year Exam Advice

OPINION

The Significance of Young Votes is Huge in Elections

OPINION

The Importance of Communication in the Modern Age

OPINION

Reflections on Senior Quotes From a Happy Senior

OPINION

What is Brett Kavanaugh’s Case Telling Us?

OPINION

High School: A Starting Point For Change

OPINION

A Freshman’s Take on Homecoming Changes

• FEATURES

Staff Spotlight: Mr. Mitchell, a Teacher With a Little “Something Different”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

While Rounding Out the Series, Did Avengers: Endgame’s Characters Fall Short?

Opinion: Why Learning Language Matters