The Chelsea Way: Student Expectations

Seniors+Claire+Kelly+and+Andreea+Bodea+studying+away.+Photo+taken+by+senior+Kylie+Saxton.++

Seniors Claire Kelly and Andreea Bodea studying away. Photo taken by senior Kylie Saxton.

“The Chelsea Way” is a phrase that motivates every student to strive for improvement. This little saying holds a lot of pride behind it–it’s a way for our school district to differentiate itself from others, whether it’s in academics, athletics, performing arts and everything in between. When our educators or faculty use it, it is meant as a compliment and a way of showing pride. The Chelsea School District is beyond equipped with the right tools in order for students to succeed.

However, as much as it meant to help students, to many it holds a double meaning. As someone who has gone to other schools, I noticed that there is a different air that students in Chelsea are breathing. There seem to be a lot of high stakes that are imposed on us by the school, by our families and even by ourselves. As soon as we turn sixteen, we are expected to get a job. After we graduate, we are expected to go to a four year college and get a degree because without it, we wouldn’t be successful. Or at least that’s what we are told.

All of these societal pressures bring about so much stress in our daily lives. At times, we even overwork ourselves by taking courses beyond what we can actually handle. We are encouraged by our school and by our families to push ourselves above and beyond in order to get the results they desire.

Most of us can agree that Chelsea is a wonderful community to be a part of, and CHS an even more wonderful school to be a part of. As a school, we have achieved more academically, in athletics and performing arts than other schools that are double our size. We have started a national movement with the #WhyYouMatter campaign and have won multiple state titles in sports as well as the performing arts. However, with that said, there still is a pressure on students that isn’t necessarily healthy. As often as we are reminded of the high stakes, we should also be reminded that we don’t have to win every game or receive every award. Sometimes, we can fail too.