The Bleu Print

Getting to Know Mrs. Bauermeister

Kylie Saxton, Editor of Features

What has been the most difficult part of teaching here (at Chelsea High School) so far?

“[Figuring out] who to go to when I have questions or for help. But, also figuring out what the rules are, because every school has very different rules and different structures. So, for example, the bonus points that you guys (students) get at the end of the trimesters is brand new to me. I wouldn’t have known about it if someone hadn’t pointed it out. So it’s just kind of a learning curve, trying to learn all of those little details about Chelsea.”

What has been the most rewarding or interesting part of teaching here (at Chelsea High School) so far?

“The most rewarding moment so far… when you guys (the students) came back from your PSAT and told me that you felt like you did a good job because you knew how to do the sourcing and how to do the questions, and that just made me smile, that I had accomplished something I set out to do.”

In three words, how would you describe the Chelsea atmosphere?

“I would say its hardworking, positive, and stressful. You guys have a lot of stress.”

If you weren’t a teacher, what other job would you want to have?

“I actually, when I started at Michigan State, I started out as a professional writing major to become a publisher, because I did yearbook in high school and I loved it. But after a semester, I just realized that that was not for me and I went back to teaching, which was what I’d always wanted to do.”

What candy best represents you? And why?

“I don’t know. So, funny side note, my mom never let me eat candy when I was little, so I haven’t had a lot of candy. I’ve never had a Reese’s, I’ve never had an Almond Joy, and I’m not a huge chocolate fan, so there’s a lot of candy I haven’t had. So I would say my favorite candy is Sour Patch Kids, and as bad as that is, I think it represents me: a little sour on the outside, but very sweet on the inside. My big thing is that if people come talk to me, then I’m more than willing to work with them, but you have to make the attempt.”

Favorite Disney character/princess?

“Belle from Beauty and the Beast because she is one of the only princesses that is extremely smart and can think for herself. So, she’s always been my hero.”

Favorite type of music?

“I don’t like to admit it, but country is my favorite music. I live for country concerts in the summer.”

What are your hobbies?

“I feel like all I’ve done this year is teach. I play the piano, and I actually take piano lessons. So that’s one. Shopping is obviously a hobby. I took up knitting last year; I know I’m an old lady, but I took up knitting, so that’s a fun one. I’d say those are the three major ones. I do like to read when I can fit it in, but I don’t get to do that much throughout the year with teaching.”

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

“Where do I see myself? I don’t know… That’s a really tricky question for me. I’d like to think I would still be here teaching. But I do still have to get my masters, and I’m looking into doing something with educational technology. So, I could also see myself moving into a position that involves that, and teaching other teachers how to use technology in the classroom.”

Did you want to be a teacher when you were young, or did you have any other goals?

“I did. My mom is actually a history teacher, so I grew up with [that influence]. I had my ‘play school’ in my basement, where I would teach nonexistent people. I had textbooks from her classroom, I even had one of those old pull down maps in my basement. And I had an overhead projector that I got for Christmas so that I could play school.”

If you could travel any where in the world that you haven’t already been, where would you go?

“Next on my list is actually London. I’ve taken trips to Spain; I’ve gone to Italy—twice. I’ve done a lot of France. London is somewhere I would love to go. . . Somewhere I’d like to go but don’t think I’m going to get to [is Turkey]. I would love to go to Turkey. But that’s just not a good place right now.”

Do you have any embarrassing stories you would like to share?

“Everyone always asks me this, and I’m such an awkward person, but I can never think of any embarrassing stories. So I don’t think I have any.” 

What would your catch phrase be? 

“’Do your reading’ should be my catch phrase, ‘Read your textbook’. How about this one, I don’t even know who said this one, but ‘I love it when a plan comes together.’”

***The quote “I love it when a plan comes together” was said by the character John “Hannibal” Smith from The A- Team.