The Bleu Print

Sulking While Soaking- Tackling the Teenage Taboo

Meagan O'Hara, Bubble Bearded Woman

Ever noticed how the true profundity of life tends to find you in the shower or the bathtub? In this column, Meagan O’Hara explores her deepest tub-thoughts and records them for you to read. It  will be maintained every time she takes a bath. Please read with an open heart and mind. She’d love to read your thoughts during her next soak. Thank you!

There comes a time in our lives when we feel helpless. We feel like our life has no shape, no structure, and we just don’t know what to do. We live in a routine that cannot be broken and the feeling of no control always lingers deep inside us.

We get down on ourselves. We can emotionally beat ourselves up for feeling the way that we do and in this self-destructive process, we feel as if we’re completely alone. That nothing can break the perpetual state of numbness. That, even if we did reach out and try to end the cycle, no one would understand.

I think a lot of us have been there. All in different situations, all to a different level of severity, all for different lengths of time, but we’ve been there.

No one is above this feeling. Lots of us teenagers see it as a taboo to feel sad, to feel alone, to feel numb, but it shouldn’t be. Let’s start changing the atmosphere in Chelsea High school.

To avoid tragedies, we have to pause our lives for a second to talk to each other. We have to take our feelings seriously and we have to forgive ourselves for feelings things that we can’t control. We can’t judge others for being vocal on how they feel and we have to show love and appreciation to all of our classmates.

I’m not saying we have to unconditionally love every single person. I’m not saying we have to be friends with everyone. We, as members of Chelsea High School, just have to be willing to help our peers when the time calls.

The counseling office is open for anyone who needs it, and if you are worried for a friend or classmate, don’t be afraid to reach out and let them know. You could save a life.

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please seek help. The United States Suicide Prevention Hotline can be reached any time at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).